When it comes to choosing a roof, most of us are only thinking about one thing, the look! While the color and material you choose is certainly important, you also need to consider the structure of your roof. Deciding on a slanted or flat roof might not be as fun as looking at color samples, but it’s incredibly important if you want to get the most out of your roof. If you’re deciding between a flat or low-slope roof, here are a few things to consider.
A Flat Roof
As the name implies, a flat roof is just that — flat. To create a flat roof, builders lay the material one over the other several times, until they have a watertight seal. Typically, these are more commonly found on industrial and commercial buildings rather than homes.
- Flat roofs are perfect for cities and more congested areas, because they allow you to utilize every inch of your home or building.
- Flat roofs are also less expensive because they are easy to design and construct.
- Because the roof is flat, water and snow can easily pile up. This can lead to leaks, water damage, and mold.
A sloped roof is constructed in two separate parts, then joined at a ridge in the center of your house. Both parts of the roof slope at a slight angle down and away from the house. Low-slope roofs are more popular in residential communities and small towns.
- Because they lay on an angle, low-slope roofs can easily repel snow and water.
- Low-slope roofs can be made out of almost any material, including wood, asphalt, metal, and slate.
- Because they are more difficult to build, low-slope roofs are usually more expensive.
Which is right for me?
If you’re deciding on a flat or low-slope roof, the choice typically comes down to where you live. If you live in sunny Florida, a flat roof is a cost-effective way to utilize every inch of your home. But if you live in the northeast and are accustomed to snow, a sloped roof will always be a better option.
Whether you know exactly what type of roof you’re looking for, or need some help deciding, JM Roofing & Siding has been the experts in roofing replacements and repairs for over 15 years! If you’re home is in need of a new or updated roof, make sure to give us a call at (203) 299-0716!