Lighting up your home for the holidays is a great tradition to participate in. It’s an easy way to express yourself and your family through decorations and fun. However, even if you’re a professional, everyone should remember these specific safety tips when it comes to Christmas lights. Stay safe this year and keep these dos and don’ts in mind.
- Do remember ladder safety. Always have someone spotting you before and while you climb! Make sure the ground is clear and has not snow or ice, and be sure to wear the right protective gear, such as suitable footwear and gloves.
- Do plan everything out first. Things can get messy and cluttered if you start putting up random decorations with no rhyme or reason. Take a second to make a simple plan of where you want to place things to make sure your home looks organized.
- Do get some help. You could hurt yourself in more ways than one if you decide to take on all the decorating yourself. Call on a family member or friend, and you’ll be done with everything in no time!
- Do have your roofing checked. Do you remember the last time you got your roof inspected by a professional? If your shingles or gutters are weakened or broken in some parts, they might not be able to hold up individual decorations. Do this before you plan on putting everything up.
- Don’t forget to road test your decorations. Always plug them in and make sure no bulbs are broken before putting them all up. You don’t want to waste your time!
- Don’t overload outlets. Plugging in too many decorations into one extension cord or outlet could cause everything to overload, and a fuse will blow in your breaker panel. The outside and inside of your home will go dark before you know it.
- Don’t cause an accident. Make sure outlets and holdings are adequately secured so that no one trips on anything in the dark.
- Don’t overestimate the strength of your roof. Besides having to keep lights and decorations hanging off of it, your roof might also have to withstand you on top as you place everything down. As we stated before, it’s essential to make sure that your shingles and materials are up to par with taking on these tasks. Don’t just get up there and start working. Be safe and have a professional do it or have a professional check-up there before you start.
Roofing Experts of Norwalk
When it comes to ensuring your roofing lasts and is safe for your family, you need to hire the best contractor possible. The experts at JM Roofing and Siding are licensed and insured to serve you in Norwalk, Connecticut, and the surrounding areas. Contact us today for a free estimate!