Your siding is not only just the blanket of protection that keeps your home safe throughout the year — it’s also one of the key elements in keeping up with aesthetics and curb appeal! Keeping it well-maintained and clean helps ensure that the structure of your home is in top condition and that everything looks neat. Whether you have vinyl, wood, synthetic fiber, or fiber cement siding, we have all the tips you need to ensure longevity and proper sanitation for years to come.
First, to start, it’s important to know that with all the different types of siding materials out there, there are many kinds of maintenance and cleaning processes as well. Some materials are relatively easy to maintain, while others can be more challenging. Let’s take a look at a few common siding options to choose from:
- Vinyl Siding: Vinyl siding is one of the easiest materials to maintain. It is resistant to rot and insects and doesn’t require painting.
- Fiber Cement Siding: Fiber cement siding is also relatively low-maintenance. It is durable and resistant to corrosion, pests, and fire. However, periodic repainting may be required to maintain its appearance.
- Wood Siding: Wood siding can be beautiful but requires more maintenance compared to other materials. It needs regular painting or staining to protect it from moisture and insect damage. Additionally, wood siding may need occasional repairs or treatments to prevent rotting.
- Aluminum Siding: Aluminum siding is a low-maintenance option. It is resistant to rust and fading, and simple cleaning with water and mild soap can keep it looking fresh. However, dents or scratches may require repair or replacement of affected panels.
- Brick or Stone Veneer: Brick or stone veneer siding is highly durable and requires minimal maintenance. Occasional cleaning with a brush and water can help remove dirt or debris. However, mortar joints may need inspection and repair over time.
Inspect Your Siding Regularly
The key to maintaining your siding is regular inspection so you can identify any issues before they escalate. Check your siding periodically for signs of wear and tear, such as cracks, warping, or chipping. Also, look for signs of water damage, pest infestations, or mold and mildew growth. Early detection of problems can help prevent expensive repairs or replacements later on.
Pressure Wash Your Siding
Over time, dirt, grime, and other debris can accumulate on your siding, which can make it appear dingy or discolored. One way to deep clean your siding is to use a pressure washer to remove stubborn stains and dirt. Always be careful not to damage the siding or create paint chips or cracks.
Clean Siding With Mild Detergent
For more gentle cleaning of your siding, avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaning supplies. Instead, use a mild detergent, such as dish soap, and a scrub brush or cloth to gently scrub the surface of your siding. Be sure to rinse thoroughly with water to avoid leaving any residue.
Repaint or Replace Damaged Siding
If you notice any significant signs of damage, such as chips, cracks, or missing pieces of siding, it may be time to consider repainting or replacing those portions of the siding. It’s important to address these issues promptly to ensure that no moisture will seep beneath the siding and cause further damage or mold growth.
Consider Professional Siding Maintenance
Sometimes, it can be challenging to address all the issues that come with maintaining and cleaning your home’s siding. Siding professionals can handle more challenging problems with ease, and they have the equipment, tools, and experience needed to get the job done right. Some professional services include power washing, paint jobs, or visual inspections of damaging pests like termites. Having an expert inspect your siding can extend its life considerably and is especially recommended during the change of seasons or after heavy storms.
Contact Us For Siding Installations in Norwalk
When it comes to ensuring your siding lasts and is safe for your family, you need to hire the best contractor possible. The experts at JM Roofing and Siding are licensed and insured to serve you in Norwalk, Connecticut, and the surrounding areas. Contact us today for a free estimate!