There’s something so inherently annoying about a door that doesn’t shut right. Somehow, this one little thing has the ability to throw off the feel of your entire room. But ill fitting doors aren’t just a cosmetic problem, they can also be a drain on your energy bill. Whether it slams closed, sags, or swings back and forth, here are a few ways you can quickly fix any door.
A swinging door.
If your door swings open every time a breeze rolls in, just:
- Remove one of the hinge pins and lay it across a nail.
- Tap the pin with a hammer and reinsert it.
The extra friction you just added to the hinges should prevent your door from swinging open.
A sagging door.
Your front door should swing open between half an inch and an inch above your floor. So if your door is scraping against the floor, you probably just have to secure the screws. To do this:
- Take the screws out and leave them somewhere safe (since you’ll be placing them back in at the end).
- Dip a match in white glue and place it into the screw holes.
- Using a craft knife, trim the matches until they are flush against the wood.
- Leave the glue to dry for about one hour (time may depend on what kind of glue you use) and replace the screw.
Now, that extra wood will help secure the nail’s grip.
A stuck door.
One of the most common front door problems is that the door just doesn’t sit in its frame. If your door is spring bound and hard to close:
- Remove the screws from the top hinge.
- Cut a few pieces of cardboard to the same size as the hinge plate. Then, pack it into the top hinge plate.
- Once it’s packed, screw the hinge plate back on.
- Repeat these steps for each hinge on your door until it’s secure.
Because you don’t have to completely take the door off of its hinges to do this, this is an easy technique that almost anyone can do.
A front door is the entryway to your home, so it’s important that it looks its best. But, don’t stop there! Make sure your house is in tip-top shape by replacing any siding that’s been lost or damaged. At JM Roofing and Siding, the siding we install will protect your home, save energy, enhance the value of your property, and last for years. Whether you’re looking to replace or update your siding, we’ve got your house covered! For more information, give us a call at 203-299-0716.